Skip to content
Home » 09/16/2013 – Minutes

09/16/2013 – Minutes

[et_pb_section admin_label=”Section” fullwidth=”off” specialty=”on”][et_pb_column type=”1_4″][et_pb_tabs admin_label=”Quick Links” global_module=”2685″ saved_tabs=”all” active_tab_background_color=”#6689ac” inactive_tab_background_color=”#a9c7e4″ tab_font=”|||on|” tab_font_size=”24″ tab_text_color=”#ffffff” tab_letter_spacing=”2px” body_font=”Open Sans|on|||” body_text_color=”#888888″ background_color=”#f4f4f4″ use_border_color=”on” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]

[et_pb_tab title=”QUICK LINKS” tab_font_select=”default” tab_font=”||||” tab_line_height=”2em” tab_line_height_tablet=”2em” tab_line_height_phone=”2em” body_font_select=”Open Sans” body_font=”Open Sans|on|||” body_line_height=”3em” body_line_height_tablet=”2em” body_line_height_phone=”2em” body_font_size=”15″ body_font_size_tablet=”15″ body_font_size_phone=”15″]



[/et_pb_tabs][et_pb_sidebar admin_label=”QUICK LINKS” orientation=”left” area=”et_pb_widget_area_1″ background_layout=”light” remove_border=”off”]

[/et_pb_sidebar][et_pb_sidebar admin_label=”Sidebar” orientation=”left” area=”sidebar-1″ background_layout=”light” remove_border=”off”]

[/et_pb_sidebar][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”3_4″ specialty_columns=”3″][et_pb_row_inner admin_label=”Row”][et_pb_column_inner type=”4_4″ saved_specialty_column_type=”3_4″][et_pb_post_title admin_label=”Post Title” title=”on” meta=”off” author=”on” date=”on” categories=”on” comments=”on” featured_image=”off” featured_placement=”below” parallax_effect=”on” parallax_method=”on” text_orientation=”left” text_color=”dark” text_background=”off” text_bg_color=”rgba(255,255,255,0.9)” module_bg_color=”rgba(255,255,255,0)” title_all_caps=”off” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]

[/et_pb_post_title][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]

Bethlehem Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
Bethlehem Town Building Meeting Room
September 16, 2013

Present: Chairman Blanchard, Selectman Culver, Selectman Laleme, Selectman Fiorentino, Selectman Glavac.

Chairman Blanchard announced that our Attorney is reviewing the Cruft building situation on how to get reimbursed for the demolition expense.

Chairman Blanchard welcomed Tim Wilson (State of NH DES), John Macdonald, Carl Wagner & Kerry Horne from LGC, Dick Robie, Clare Brown, Phil Bell and Jarod Ryan from the pool committee, and Rhienna Miscio (Rec Director). Chairman Blanchard said it is time for the Rec Director to start working on her budget so we are all meeting to determine what the status and timeline is for the pool. Dick Robie said it has been a slow process but are close to finishing. He said they have the paint and are just relying on the weather before they can paint it. Dick also said the pump works fine and will be rebuilt over the winter, the skimmers have been replaced, new pipes under the patio, and new pipes downstairs. He suggested that to determine what to budget the Rec Director should visit surrounding towns that have pools or look at past years budgets when this pool was operational. Chairman Blanchard asked about the electrical work. Phil Bell said it is all new stuff and has GFI outlets and also a new hot water heater.

Chairman Blanchard asked Mr. Macdonald what role he has in this. Mr. Macdonald said he has a small pool company and has been helping with this. Chairman Blanchard also asked Mr. Wilson what his role is. Mr. Wilson said he inspects pools per state regulations for mechanical and water quality. He said he has offered guidance on what is needed. Chairman Blanchard asked if he is in contact with LGC or Stan about the pool. Mr. Wilson said he is not. Chairman Blanchard asked if he saw any major concerns. Mr. Wilson said there are things that are still required including a lift per ADA requirements but he said it is coming along.

Chairman Blanchard asked Carl and Kerry from LGC what their roles are. Carl said they typically are involved after the pool is up and running and deals with policies and procedures including logs for water quality, lifeguard training, chemicals etc. He said tonight they are here to support Rhienna from a liability standpoint to advise on safety concerns.

Rhienna said she has contacted surrounding Towns about their pool budgets including Colonel Town, Lisbon, Walpole, and Littleton. She said Colonel Town and Lisbon are not totally Town funded. She said Walpole has a similar pool and population as Bethlehem and she is waiting to hear back from them.

Mr. Wilson said the items on Stan’s list do not fall under his jurisdiction. He said the safety drain covers have been purchased.

Kerry said codes should be met even if it is not under Mr. Wilson’s jurisdiction and she also said the pool should not be open without meeting ADA.

Dick Robie said all the things being talked about have been planned on from the get go including the drain covers; ramp, and having an electrician do the electrical work. Selectman Laleme said the ramp that is being discussed is the one that is needed to go from the pool to the comfort station and it needs to have rails and be the right slope and paved. Dick said the ramp can be gravel. Phil Bell said the bathrooms in the comfort station meet ADA. Rhienna said that Stan pointed out that if the comfort station was going to be the accessible changing room then it needed to have showers. Phil said there would be an outdoor shower for handicap.

Chairman Blanchard asked what the committee’s timeline for opening is. Phil said it is almost done. Selectman Culver said the Board needs to know what a reasonable date is so a budget can be created and said the money should not be raised if it will not be open. Dick said he believes it will open in the summer of 2014. Clare said most likely for July and August. Rhienna pointed out that the fence and ladders have to be grounded and said she would like to bring Stan over to check things out against his list. Selectman Fiorentino said the state plumbing and electrical code enforcers will need to come in and check and do a walk through. Rhienna said Stan is in contact with them. Dick said they have had a Master Electrician doing the work and Phil said Bud Miller did the plumbing in the bath house.

Kerry said they need one main document to track donations, progress, and what is left to be done. Selectman Glavac proposes Rhienna to be in charge of getting the list together and coordinate with Stan and the inspectors to create a checklist. Dick said the big things have been addressed and signage will be handled when the Town takes over. He said the money raised was for repairs and structural issues. Chairman Blanchard suggested Rhienna and Clare discuss signage. Rhienna asked the pool committee if there is anything on Stan’s list that they don’t feel responsible for. Dick said he would have liked to see Stan’s list earlier and said the committee will address the list. Clare asked about using money from the comfort station trust fund instead of using the pool money for expenses for the comfort station.

Kerry suggested someone become CPO (certified pool operator). She said it is not required in NH but would highly recommend someone have that. John Macdonald said he is CPO certified. The Board opened the Fuel Bids. Jesse E. Lyman bid on all fuel types put out to bid. He gave a fixed price option and a daily market plus % price for each fuel (see attached bid). Harris bid on #2 fuel and K2 and provided a locked in price or a Market price plus $.20. Amerigas bid on propane only for $1.86/gallon. Selectman Fiorentino moved to accept the bids from Jesse E. Lyman for all fuel types for the 2013 –2014 season with the locked in prices. Selectman Laleme seconded. Selectman Laleme said they came in lower on almost every category. Carried 5-0.

Chief Ho-Sing-Loy asked the Board to sign to accept a grant for a Radio. The value of the radio is approximately $3500.00 and will not cost the town anything. Selectman Laleme moved to accept the radio. Selectman Fiorentino seconded. Carried 5-0.

Chief Ho-Sing-Loy also said he spoke with Carl from LGC about the shooting range and Carl said it looks good and they would just need a liability release for other agencies to use it. Chairman Blanchard called DES to inquire about the concern with the lead bullets but has not heard back yet. The Chief said Carl doesn’t see an issue with it. It was stated that the private range down the street isn’t believed to have a collection system for bullets. Selectman Glavac asked the Chief what his timeline is. The Chief said he would like to do qualifications this year and that Mr. Derrington would help remove the boulders and Brett will help with Berms. He also mentioned that Officer Demornaville is contacting local pits for sand donations. Rita Farrell asked about federal regulations about lead and she asked if the Town ever needed the transfer station again would having lead be a deal breaker for that. Julian Czarny expressed his concern that having the shooting range there would deter the industrial use that the lot was intended
for. Selectman Culver said with the Conservation easement and wetlands there is only a small portion that is usable. Julian also asked if fees would be charged for other agencies using it. The Chief said that would be up to the Select Board but mentioned other forces share ranges. Selectman Laleme suggested talking with DES before worrying about all that. Selectman Culver also pointed out that if a commercial business wanted to use that lot the shooting range could be shut down. Chairman Blanchard said he will continue to try to reach DES.

The Board reviewed the minutes from 09/09/13. Selectman Laleme moved to approve the minutes as written. Chairman Blanchard seconded. Carried 4-0 (Selectman Glavac abstained).

The Board discussed the request from a resident asking the Town to deed over a portion of Oxbow Road to them. The Board needs to determine if the State Road was ever given to the Town.

At 7:50 Chairman Blanchard moved to go into non-public per 91a for matters of personnel and reputation. Selectman Glavac seconded. Chairman Blanchard did roll call with all members agreeing to go into non-public session.

The Board discussed Recreation issues.

The Board discussed personnel. Selectman Laleme moved to send a thank you with a lifetime membership w/ cart use to David Pilotte. Selectman Glavac seconded. Carried 5-0.

The Board discussed a request from a taxpayer to waive interest due to hardship.

Selectman Fiorentino moved to terminate Stan’s services for the Town of Bethlehem. Selectman Glavac seconded. Carried 5-0.

At 9:08 Chairman Blanchard moved to come out of non-public session. Selectman Culver seconded. Carried 5-0.

At 9:08 Chairman Blanchard moved to adjourn. Selectman Fiorentino seconded. Carried 5-0.

Respectfully submitted,

April Hibberd

Administrative Assistant