Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Town of Bethlehem’s fiscal year?

The Town’s budgetary or fiscal year is from January 1st through December 31st.

How do I know if I need a permit for my project?

NH DES has a handy resource to help land owners and home owners figure out if a permit is required. Check out DES Got Permits?
Another helpful resource is the Bethlehem Planning and Zoning Ordinance.
If you are still not sure if a permit is required please call the Town Office. 

What should I contact Code Enforcement for and how?

Code Enforement

Phone: (603) 616-5716

Contact Code Enforcement for:

  • Building Permits
  • Driveway Permits
  • Fire Inspections
  • Health Inspections
  • Child & Day Care Inspections

Building Permits are required with any new construction, remodeling over $1,000, or a change in building footprint.

A Certificate of Occupancy is available upon request for new structures upon completion of a certification of occupancy application and a successful final inspection by the building inspector. 

Certificate of Occupancy Application

How do I register my car?

Vehicle Registration

Online Vehicle Registration Renewal is easy, safe and secure. There are two ways to complete your renewal(s) online. You may enter your vehicle(s) by plate. Your registration form and decals will be sent to you in the mail. New registrations are not valid until you receive them. For new vehicles or vehicle registration transfers, visit the Town Clerk’s office. Call (603) 869-3351 x15 for more information about online registration.


How do I license my dog for Bethlehem?

Dog Licenses

In Bethlehem, dogs must be licensed annually before April 1st of each year. Save a tree and renew your dog license online. Please enter your license number exactly as it appears on your previous printed paper license. Locate your license number on your paper license OR you can look at your physical dog tag. All license numbers are preceeded by the year issued with a dash and 3 digits. For example for tag number 59 issued in 2015 enter 15-059.


How do I register to Vote?

New Hampshire residents who will be 18 years of age or older on the day of the next election, and a United States Citizen, may register with the supervisors of the checklist or the town or city clerk where they live up to 10 days before any election. You may also register on election day at the polling place. The supervisors of the checklist or the town or city clerk’s office can provide voters of what proof of qualification they should bring to register.

There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you move into your new community. For more information on elections, including how to register to vote, visit the NH Secretary of State Elections Website.

Residents may register to vote anytime during the year with the Town Clerk during regular business hours.

Please see the Forms & Application page for Absentee Ballot registration.

How do I pay property taxes?

Online payment of property taxes is available for Bethlehem residents and home owners. Credit Cards (MasterCard, VISA, Discover, AMEX, JBC and Diner’s Club) and ACH (direct draft from your Checking account) are accepted via this internet service. Fees apply: Credit Card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and AMEX) with a convenience fee of 2.95% (minimum of $1.50) and ACH with a flat convenience fee of $1.50. Please have your email address and your property tax ID number ready at the time of payment. The tax ID number is listed as the “Parcel” on your tax bill. Please enter it as it appears on the bill with all dashes.


When is trash pickup day?

Please locate your street name to find your curbside collection day. Some streets may be split so please take note if your house number is listed next to your street. Your trash will be collected every week on this day while your recycling will be collected every other week on the same day. Your recycling schedule will either be green or blue depending on your location. Save this calendar as a reminder of your recycling week! CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Tips to deter bears from getting in your garbage:

  • Put ammonia or bleach soaked rags on top of garbage container.
  • Use clamps or ratchet straps to secure the lid on the container.
  • When possible, leave containers in a shed, barn, or garage until the morning of garbage pick up.

How should I prepare my Recyclables? 

Zero-Sort® Recycling is quick and easy! No sorting on your end makes recycling quick and easy! Just focus on tossing all recyclables into one bin and everything else it taken care of. Zero-Sort® is the single bin recycling service that puts more of your discarded materials back into the world and less of it into the landfill. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

  • Recyclables should be rinsed clean of any food waste.
  • Corrugated cardboard boxes should be broken down into smaller pieces.
  • Lids and caps can remain on empty plastic bottles.
  • DO NOT tie newspaper or cardboard with twine.